Help Prevent Outdoor Cooking Fires
Did you know?
Grill fires cause an estimated $37 million in property damage each year.
- Almost half of all home grill fires happen between 5-8pm.
- 57% of home grill fires occur during months of May, June, July, and August.
- Patios, terraces, screened-in porches and courtyards are leading home locations for grill fires.
- 79% of all home grill fires involve gas grills.
- "Mechanical failure, malfunction" is the leading factor in the start of grill fires. Leaks and breaks of containers or pipes are often to blame.
Grilling fire safety tips:
- Only use grills outdoors, away from siding and deck railings.
- Clean grills often and remove grease or fat build-up.
- Make sure your gas grill lid is open before lighting.
- Have a 3 foot safe-zone around grills and campfires. Keep kids and pets clear of the area.
- Dispose of coals after they have cooled in a metal can.
- Never leave grills, fire pits and patio torches unattended.